August Goals

It seemed like August zoomed by while I was not looking, but I did achieve some goals.

In the run up to completing my current WIP, I stopped writing because I knew something was wrong.

I spent a few weeks learning the latest .NET program, VS Express 2013, while rewriting my Royalties Data Extraction program to work with the new Windows Operating System. I eventually got the extraction working on each spreadsheet royalty sale for both Amazon and Smashwords stored in a new database.

Still need to get the section working to display search results from the Royalty Database, both as spreadsheet, pivot table and charts. However, that is not urgent so can work on it over the next few months. I can also import the Royalty Database directly into Excel and manually run searches and pivot tables if I need to.

I located the problem with the structure of my current WIP, added a few scenes, and finished the first draft.

I am now ready to run through my editing steps on the last two stories, and discovered I lost the stored macros when the old computer died. Now I am rewriting some of the macros I used, such as highlight “ing, ly, As, While, There” and other words I tend to use that needs to be removed from sentences to make them more active. I know there were other macros I used, but until I remember them, there is no need to worry about them.

One macro did a word count list, so I could quickly see which words were overused in each scene. I will rely on beta readers for that until I figure out the code behind that macro. 🙂

I did locate a free Desktop Taipei game and had fun playing that instead of working. I still need to locate a free or cheap Scrabble game I can download, because I loved playing Scrabble on the (now dead) old laptop, while planning new scenes while writing. 🙂

I also got bronchitis this last week of winter and seem to be sleeping more than ever while I struggle to breathe, so most work has slowed to a stop. I look forward to Spring warming up my vegetable garden, my house, and me.

Hopefully, this coming week, I will finish the first draft read through and edit of both waiting stories, then I can enjoy the computer reading the stories to me while I picture each scene in my mind, and add necessary description when needed.

Oh, I also need to find time to fill out my tax form and get it off as soon as I can, just to cross it off my To Do list.

Then for the rest of the month, write blurbs, create covers, and format both stories ready to publish, as soon as beta readers get done with them.

Are any of you interested in me blogging how to create editing macros in Word?

I hope you all got everything completed you planned to do this month. Feel free to tell me in the comments what you achieved over August, and if you have anything planned for September?

Advertisements

2 comments so far

  1. E.K. Carmel on

    Despite being ill, it sounds like you got quite a lot done! I hope you’re feeling better soon. I know how hard it is to be creative when you feel lousy.

    • D J Mills on

      Thanks. 🙂 Slowly gaining more energy each day, but still coughing.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: